Wednesday 6 October 2010

Airport lounges: are they missing a trick?



Photo from: My Opera
Ever been bored in airport lounges?

I have just travelled back from Turkey via Zurich airport. Unfortunately, we had to wait 3 hours for our connection back to the UK.

When I go to a new airport, I am always quite excited. I am hoping to find something a little bit different: a great shopping experience, a good choice of places to eat, anything to help pass the time. However, as soon as I get through passport control, I find myself wondering around another "soulless" airport lounge with the same designer shops (who can afford these products?), the same boring coffee shops (you can only have so many coffees) and if you are lucky you might find a couple of places to eat (with uninspiring and overpriced menus). In large airports, you might find an area where you can access the Internet.

The waiting area for me is the worst of all with the most uncomfortable seats (if you can find one), bad lighting and no entertainment whatsoever. How depressing!!

Isn't there an opportunity here to create fun and interesting areas to make the journey a bit more enjoyable?

Isn't it a great place to educate travellers about responsible travel?

What would you like to see in airport lounges, that would change your travel experience?

1 comments:

Ruskin the Librarian said...

Absoloutely agree airports are so uncomfortable - where do they get the idea that we like to queue?

Post a Comment